2011年4月6日星期三

I'll give you an example

I'll give you an example. I was in a small privately owned spice shop a few weeks back, in an upscale shopping development. I like to shop there once in a while for some hard to find spices and sauces, and am willing to pay the higher than average price because it is a specialty store and because it has a nice, calming atmosphere.

I have been to this particular place at least a dozen times before and consistently had a good experience - nothing I would categorize as spectacular, but acceptable, and definitely not "bad".

The last time I went to browse happened to be with my sister who was in from out of town. The person working at the counter, and apparently the only employee in the store at the time, and quite possibly the owner for all I know, was in a heated discussion with someone who appeared to be an acquaintance. Not only were we not greeted and made to feel welcome, but their argument actually made us so uncomfortable that we had to leave the store.

This is what I call the ultimate in bad customer service and definitely the ultimate bad experience. Did this person have any idea that we walked out because of their heated discussion? Who knows, but the fact is, once we walked in, the discussion should have stopped, or they could have carried it on in the back room.

We've all had those experiences when we've felt ignored or even trivialized at a place of business, and that always leaves a lasting negative impression that is detrimental to that business' customer base.

没有评论:

发表评论