2011年1月9日星期日

In recognition of Louis Auchincloss’ literary legacy and his passing this January

In recognition of Louis Auchincloss’ literary legacy and his passing this January, the Museum of the

City of New York is awarding Pete Hamill the Auchincloss Prize. Hamill’s work shows not only a strong

connection to New York, but a wide array of mediums, styles and content. The event will take place

Monday, November 15 from 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Now here’s the kicker! Mention One Story and get a five

dollar discount! Space is limited so RSVP to programs@mcny.org ASAP. Hope to see you there for this

unique event!

One Story got inundated with stories when we opened our submission manager in September. L. Annette

Binder’s “Nephilim” was the first piece I plucked from the new batch and I read it three times in a

row.

“Nephilim” is a story about a woman afflicted with gigantism and her friendship with a boy named

Teddy. I was drawn to the strong narrative voice and the beautiful language. Though the story moves

through twenty years in 13 pages, the pacing was pitch-perfect. I found myself wondering why any story

ever needed to be longer than 13 pages. No matter how many times I read this piece in edits, each time

I got to the final scene, I found myself close to tears.



没有评论:

发表评论